How to Manage Genres
1. Why Should I Use Genres?
The Genre section can be classified as the "tagging" or "keyword" system for your books. You are free to add the genres that you'd like, you're not limited by a system like Amazon or other storefronts.
It's very useful to tag books so readers know what to expect. Maybe all your books fall under the "Romance" genre, but you could tag one "Young Adult Romance" and another one "Romantic Suspense". That way, if a reader is interested in reading more of your "Romantic Suspense", they can click on the genre tag at the bottom of the book page and find all the books tagged with "Romantic Suspense"!
2. How to Add Genres to a Book
- In the admin dashboard, head over to "Books" > "All Books".
- Select the book you want to edit.
- On the right-hand side, you'll find a tab called "Genre". It's under "Permalink". If you don't see the "Genre" tab, make sure to click on the "Setting Wheel" at the top of the page, then on the "Document" tab.
- Add your genre and hit enter. If you already have genres, they will show up as you start typing. We recommend making sure you write your genre the same way or click on the genre when it shows up, to make sure the tagging system works properly. If you make a typo, the tagging system won't work as well.
- You can also remove a genre by clicking the X button next to it.
3. How to Delete/Rename a Genre
If you've made a typo or accidentally created a genre you won't use again, you can easily manage them using the following steps:
- In the admin dashboard, go to "Books" > "Genres"
- Select the Genre you want to edit and click on the "Edit" link or the Genre name.
- If you want to delete the Genre, click on the "Delete" button. You can also bulk delete by selecting all the genres you want to delete and under the "Bulk Action" dropdown, select "Delete".